Tesfaye Moti Demissie
MSc in Medical Genetics
- Participate in an ongoing covid-19 vaccine trial against SARS CoV-2 infection and other research studies such as Pertussis, Meningitis, Non-typhoidal Salmonella, RSV infection
- working in a controlled area in the laboratory vis Containment Level 2 laboratories for processing infectious samples
- Independently managing and leading a small group and study-related consumables and reagents
- Providing administrative laboratory support (laboratory documentation, sample inventories and reagent information) and daily management of designated clinical trials, including updating the laboratory teams on changes to processes, meeting with trial monitors, communication with QA manager and Biobank Manager.
- Arranging shipment of category B specimens in the UK and overseas following IATA regulations.
- Discussing study updates with colleagues at weekly internal meetings with OVG clinical trial teams and the trials administrator. Monitor reagent stock and consumable items related to study
- Assist laboratory-based onsite training for new staff and PhD and MSc students
- DNA and RNA Extraction, DNA and RNA quantification, T-Cell assays, ELISpot, ELISA, PBMCs isolation, Gel-electrophoresis, PCR, qPCR, Serum Bactericidal Assay (BSA)
- 1. Feng, S., Phillips, D.J., White, T. et al. Correlates of protection against symptomatic and asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection. Nat Med 27, 2032–2040 (2021).
- 2. Folegatti, Pedro M., et al. "Safety and immunogenicity of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2: a preliminary report of a phase 1/2, single-blind, randomised controlled trial." The Lancet 396.10249 (2020): 467-478.
- 3. Voysey, Merryn, et al. "Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: an interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK." The Lancet 397.10269 (2021): 99-111.
- 4. Barrett, Jordan R., et al. "Phase 1/2 trial of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 with a booster dose induces multifunctional antibody responses." Nature medicine (2020): 1-10.
- 5. Ramasamy, Maheshi N., et al. "Safety and immunogenicity of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine administered in a prime-boost regimen in young and old adults (COV002): a single-blind, randomised, controlled, phase 2/3 trial." The Lancet 396.10267 (2020): 1979-1993.
- 6. MenAfriCar Consortium. (2016). Household transmission of Neisseria meningitidis in the African meningitis belt: a longitudinal cohort study. The Lancet Global Health, 4 (12), e989-e995. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(16)30244-3
- 7. Manigart O, Trotter C, Findlow H, Assefa A, Mihret W, Moti Demisse T, et al. (2016) A Seroepidemiological Study of Serogroup A Meningococcal Infection in the African Meningitis Belt. PLoS ONE 11(2): e0147928. doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0147928
- 8. Tschopp R, Bekele S, Moti T, Young D, Aseffa A (2015) Brucellosis and bovine tuberculosis prevalence in livestock from pastoralist communities adjacent to Awash National Park, Ethiopia. j.prevetmed.2015.03.004. Epub 2015 Mar 17
- 9. The MenAfriCar consortium* (2013). Meningococcal carriage in the African meningitis belt. Tropical Medicine and International Health Vol. 18 No. 8 pp. 968-978. (see Appendix I).
- 10. The MenAfriCar consortium, The Diversity of Meningococcal Carriage Across the African Meningitis Belt and the Impact of Vaccination with a Group A Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine. Journal Infectious Diseases. (2015) doi: 10.1093/infdis/jiv211
covid-19, iNTs, and Pertussis vaccine trail, Meningitis, Immuno-genetics